Last night, while listening to the satellite radio fade in and out, we heard a Rich Mullins song remade by a newer artist...still good, but just not the same.
With all the talk/teaching/learning on love lately, it didn't surprise me to run across this old article that Rich had written for one of the Christian magazines...back in the day...
It's message still rings so true...and it's worthy of reading again....
The Pursuit of Happiness
by Rich Mullins
Release Magazine Spring 1992
Rich Mullins explains his secret formula for finding happiness
1. Forget about finding happiness. Happiness is not worthy of your search.
2. Bake a cake - a really rich cake, preferably from scratch (and especially if you are an inexperienced baker or a tested, tried and notoriously awful cook). The value is in the baking more than in the cake.
3. Call up some enemy of yours and invite that enemy to eat the cake with you. If the cake is good you may lose an enemy and gain a friend. If the cake is bad, at least vengeance is sweet.
4. If you can't think of a single enemy, then call up a friend. Invite your friend over to eat the cake with you. If the cake is good the favor may be returned. If the cake is awful your friend may go buy one from a bakery for you.
If you are without enemies or friends, take your cake to an old folks' home. Eat it with them! If the cake is good you will no longer be without friends. If the cake is terrible you will no longer be without enemies.
Finding a friend, making an enemy - now those are things worth pursuing. Happiness may come tagged on - but even if it doesn't, at least you will have done something and established some relationships.
5. Memorize Isaiah 40 or the first Psalm or Psalm 91.
Read the closing chapters of the Book of Job.
Meditate on the Beatitudes (Mathew 5).
Write out one of the Prison Epistles (Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians) and send them to some other unhappy person.
All of this may not make you happy but it will tell you how to be holy. Once you tie that knot you may find yourself in a position to be made happy.
6. Work hard. Clean something. Find new and more space-efficient ways of folding your clothes. Rake someone else's yard for them. If you are unhappy maybe you can help someone else be less so.
7. Go back to the 3rd chapter of Lamentations and then repeat after me:"It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young. Let him sit alone in silence for the Lord has laid it on him."
8. Reread the 23rd Psalm and remember that if the Lord is your shepherd, then you are in a lush pasture. You are by a still stream. If it seems otherwise to you, it may be because you would rather be happy than be God's. If this is so, then you have more reason to be happy than anyone. God has chosen you - ungrateful, decadent you - and being His is a joy and a happiness that goes beyond anything else you may seek, and in your folly settle for. God will (in His mercy) make you discontent with anything less than Him.
So we only have one step left...
Just another Jesus-girl on a journey...mostly around my home, but wherever else He drags me to. I love Jesus. Do my best at life. Write about what I learn. Always making messes on the table and in relationships. I take pictures of things others don't notice, craft and hand quilt, bake and cook and mostly I pray. Affiliate Links may be used.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Wise Words from Rich Mullins...
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I’m always forgetting to check the cameras after vacation. I get overwhelmed with unpacking and resetting and Mark had to rush out for an un...
New Recipe: Beef With Broccoli MarinaBromley@Marina's Kitchen Table I love to cook, and I love finding tasty recipes for things I usuall...
Such a busy week of vacation, spent working around the yard since it wasn’t freezing or muddy! We still have scoops of dirt to rake into the...
I had my “Louisville Grands” for the long weekend, and it threw me all off schedule! It was so fun to be able to meet mom and dad half-way a...
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for reading today! I hope that you will share your heart with us! Do not forget to subscribe if you would like to have this delivered to your inbox!